With a total seating capacity of 2,967, the San Diego Civic Theatre offers multiple options for seating preference and pricing, with six sections to choose from for your theatre experience.
In general, late arrivals for performances will be required to remain in the lobby areas until an appropriate seating break in the performance, as determined by the show management or producers. This may be for just the duration of a few minutes for an opening number or may be for the entire first act of the performance. Lobby monitors are available to view most on-stage performances.
Seating comprises the following sections:
This is the section closest to the stage and on the main floor. It includes a maximum of 1,218 seats featuring "continental" seating with no center aisles and extra leg room between rows. There are 4 wheelchair locations with companion seats. There are eight (8) side transfer seats. There are 20 permanent rows and three removable rows over the orchestra pit. Access to the Orchestra is via two sloped walkways with no stairs.
- Please note that during certain productions when the orchestra pit/extended orchestra pit are not required and removable seating is in place, the first three Rows are AA, BB, and CC followed by Row A.
This section is at the rear of the main floor and is elevated approximately three feet above the last row of the Orchestra. It includes 421 seats arranged in four sections of eight rows each. The last row of the Dress Circle (Row H) may be accessed without stairs and can accommodate a mix of up to 30 wheelchair spaces and companion seats.
Lower Loge (2nd level)
This section is similar to side box seats on either side of the house and overhang the Orchestra's side seating. There are a total of 46 seats in 11 rows on house left and a total of 50 seats in 13 rows on house right. Lower Loge seats are only accessible via stairs.
Mezzanine (2nd level)
This section overhangs above the Dress Circle. It includes 422 seats arranged in four sections of eight rows each. There are 12 wheelchair locations with accompanying companion seats. The last row of the Mezzanine (Row W) may be accessed without stairs and can accommodate a mix of up to 30 wheelchair spaces and companion seats.
Upper Loge (3rd level)
This section overhangs the Lower Loges on either side of the house. There are a total of 50 seats in 13 rows on house left and a total of 50 seats in 13 rows on house right. From the Mezzanine Lobby, Row H is accessible via elevators without encountering any stairs.
Balcony (3rd level)
This is the top level of seating, directly above the Mezzanine. There are a total of 710 seats in the Balcony.
- All Balcony seats require stair access from Balcony level lobby and are not wheelchair accessible. Patrons with walking difficulties or other mobility issues should not select Balcony seating. Binoculars are recommended for patrons wishing to view costume, facial and staging details.
Safety & Security
Your safety is our top priority and we rely on the cooperation and the good judgment of every person who enters the facility to ensure this level of safety. Our venues are protected by 24-hour video surveillance. Please review the following security details.
San Diego Theatres requires that all guests attending an event pass through a security screening performed by trained security personnel. This will include, but is not limited to:
- Walk-through or wand metal detection inspection
- Bag checks
- Visual inspection
- Other screening deemed necessary by security staff
We encourage patrons to leave non-essential items, including oversized purses and bags, at home or safely secured in a vehicle. Any item larger than a small clutch or wallet may be subject to a security inspection.
Please refer to our list of prohibited items. We ask that you leave these in your vehicle or at home. San Diego Theatres will not take possession or be responsible for any items removed as a result of the security screening process. Any patron who declines to be screened may be denied entry to San Diego Theatre’s events.
In order to accommodate for the security screening process, we ask that you please plan on arriving at least one hour prior to the scheduled start time of any event.
The following list of items are not allowed inside the theatre (Note: items may change without notice under direction of San Diego Theatres Security):
- Bags should not exceed 12" x 6" x 12." San Diego Theatres does not provide a general area to check bags, coats or any other personal belongings
- Oversized bags (i.e. backpacks, suitcases, beach bags, laptop bags, etc.) are prohibited
- Weapons (or any item that could be harmful to others), firearms, pepper spray/mace, flares or fireworks
- Outside food, beverage, liquid containers, alcohol, cans, bottles, flasks, coolers or water bottles
- Workman's tool, pocket knives, or any other tools
- Laser pens/pointers, flashlights, glow products
- Laptop/tablet computers
- Signs/Flags/Banners/Posters unless otherwise posted by tour management
- Skateboards, rollerblades, bicycles, helmets or chairs
- Drugs and illegal substances
- Video or audio recording devices of any kind including GoPro cameras
- Solicitation is not allowed
- Bags that do not exceed 12" x 6" x 12."
- Prescription medicine
- One sealed bottle of water (up to 16 ounces)
Lost and Found
If you lost something at the Theatre, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 619-615-4006. Include as many details as you can, including the event you attended, the date you lost your item, details about the item lost as well as where you think you lost it.
Food & Beverage
San Diego Theatres has partnered with Sodexo Live!, the leading hospitality partner to North America's live entertainment venues, to provide premier hospitality and food service for the Civic Theatre and Balboa Theatre. Through this partnership, guests can look forward to enhanced safety measures and level of service, a tailored menu centered around unique locally sourced produce, breads and meats, innovative technology for faster service, and the introduction of a new sustainability initiative.
“As we know, guests already come to the San Diego Theatres for exceptional entertainment and by streamlining the food and beverage process we can get them back in their seats and enjoying all that they came for”
To promote the safety of our guests and enhance speed of service all food and beverage transactions at San Diego Theatres will be cash-free. Our bars and concession stands accept debit and credit cards, including major contactless and mobile payment methods.
The menu offerings will feature signature and premium cocktails, wines as well as local craft brews from some of the best breweries in the region. Menus will highlight local brands and businesses as much as possible, as well as ensure best-in-class sustainability practices and safety protocols.
Sodexo Live! is the exclusive on-site caterer for all San Diego Theatres. From intimate rehearsals to elaborate affairs, our team of San Diego’s finest industry professionals will help seamlessly meet all your event catering needs.
We are happy to announce our new sustainability initiatives at San Diego Theatres including menus tailored to highlight locally sourced cuisine and 100% biodegradable and fully recyclable packaging.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
Sodexo Live! supports the well-being of attendees through industry-specific measures that include, but are not limited to:
- Cashless payment systems at retail outlets
- Menus designed with modern safety and hygiene practices at the forefront
- Targeted kitchen disinfection, sanitation, and cleaning schedules
- Specialized and regimented health and safety trainings
Please Note: Alcoholic beverages served to patrons 21 years & older. May not be offered at all shows. Outside food and beverage items may not be brought in to Balboa Theatre.
The Civic Theatre is proud to offer accessible wheelchair seating, restrooms and audio assistance systems for patrons. Please email Ticketing Services at email@example.com for assistance.
Side Orchestra Transfer Seating
Accessibility seating at the Civic Theatre includes:
- Seats with swing-out arms for easy transfer from wheelchair or scooter are available on the main floor Orchestra level, on both right and left aisles, of the Civic Theatre.
- All seats in the Orchestra section, Rows AA through V, may be accessed via sloping walkways, no stairs. By use of the elevators, seats in Dress Circle, Row H and Mezzanine, Row W may be accessed without stairs.
- Upper Loge, Row H may be accessed without stairs, using the Mezzanine elevator stop.
Radio-Frequency (RF) Audio Assistance Systems
For patrons with hearing difficulties, audio assistance devices are in use at the Civic Theatre. Headsets are available in the Theatre lobby areas prior to performances (headsets are loaned at no charge, on a first-come, first-served basis, with photo ID required).
T-Coil loop devices are available for patrons with T-Coil compatible aids. Please check with uniformed House Staff at entry for devices.
Most San Diego Opera performances at the Civic Theatre utilize the 'Digitext' system, projecting an English language translation text above the stage. Audio Description Services are available at select San Diego Opera performances. Please contact Ticketing Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or San Diego Opera Patron Services at 619.533.7000 for further details or access individual Event Information pages on this site for specific event details.
Broadway San Diego offers American Sign Language (ASL) and Open Caption (OC) Services at select performances. Please contact Ticketing Services at email@example.com for further details or access individual Event Information pages on this site for specific event details.
Sight and Hearing Impaired Seating
Limited sight and hearing-impaired seating may be available for select shows. Please email Ticketing Services at firstname.lastname@example.org with any specific questions or assistance.
Certified Service Animals & Guide Dogs
Recognized California Service Animals, fully trained to provide a specific service to owner, are welcome into the Theatre. Only Service Animals will be allowed entry and must remain under owner’s control during the entire event. Companion Animals are not allowed inside the venue. For suggested seating recommendations or additional information, please contact Ticketing Services at email@example.com.
Elevators are available to all levels of the Theatre. However, designated Accessible Seating areas are located only on the Orchestra, Dress Circle, and Mezzanine levels. Seating in Upper Loge, Lower Loge, and Balcony levels require patrons to navigate stairs.
With staff assistance, a Family/Special Needs restroom facility is available on the Upper Loge (East side), using the Mezzanine elevator stop. There are four restrooms equipped with a Changing Station for patrons with young children in attendance. Restrooms with a changing station are located in the Main Lobby Women’s room (West), Main Lobby Men’s room, Balcony level Woman’s room (East) and Balcony level Men’s room (East).
If you are attending an event and are in need of assistance at any time, please contact one of our uniformed Ushers or Public Safety Staff. Usher staff are available inside seating areas during all performances.
Special effects are part of many performances and may include the use of Strobe Lights (flicker-sensitive patrons), haze and smoke machines, etc. Should you have a sensitivity regarding any of these theatrical effects, please check the individual Event Information pages on this site or contact Ticketing Services for specific information.
Please be aware we may only become aware of the use of such effects close to the actual performance date.
Patron Code of Conduct
San Diego Theatres is committed to providing a safe, comfortable, and enjoyable entertainment experience for all.
This Patron Code of Conduct is designed to set clear expectations and encourage an environment that is enjoyable for all.
- Patrons will not engage in fighting, throwing objects, using foul/abusive language or gestures, attempting to enter restricted areas, or other behavior detrimental to the experience or safety of others.
- Patrons will not interfere with the performance or artists in any way.
- Patrons will adhere to the event and venue security policies. The possession of any prohibited items, including but not limited to: weapons, illegal substances, disruptive noisemakers, and professional recording equipment, are prohibited. See our full safety & security policy here.
- Patrons will follow all verbal instructions from staff and written instructions on signage, including instructions regarding photography, late seating, and emergency response procedures.
- Patrons may not sit in a seat other than one’s ticketed seat location for that event or refuse to produce one’s ticket upon request. Unauthorized use of any seating designed for disabled persons is strictly prohibited.
- Patrons will supervise their children at all times.
- Patrons will not smoke/vape anywhere inside the venue at any time.
- Patrons will consume alcohol in a responsible manner and in compliance with the law. Those appearing intoxicated will be denied entry or will be subject to ejection from the facility.
- Patrons may assist in creating a safe and enjoyable environment by reporting inappropriate behavior to an Usher, Security Officer, or House Manager.
Patrons who do not adhere to the Code of Conduct will be subject to ejection without refund.